Project Title: Building R25/R72, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Client: Science & Technology Facilities Council
Project Value: £1.2 million
Scope of Works:
– Refurbishment (design & build) contract
– Full internal & external building protection
– Asbestos cladding removal
– New structrual and cold rolled steel sections
– Kingspan micro-rib panels
– Zefyr integrated louvres
– Wall-lite panels
– Technal Aluminium Curtain Walling and Doors
– Gilgen Roller Shutter Doors
– Icopal profiles reinforced bitumen membrane
– New structrual rooflights
– Aluminium Rainwater Goods
As with other projects Ice Roofing & Cladding have carried out on this site, this particular contract had several challenges to overcome.
The building has several hundreds of millions of pounds worth of equipment, so protection was vital. As the external asbestos cladding was to be stripped, a full working scaffold system was erected with shrinkwrap screening. As an additional preventative measure, an internal Monoflex screen was also erected. One factor which stood out at our post tender interview was the fact that we were able to a erect this internal screen, without the need for scaffold. To eliminate any disruption to the client, we opted to use our team of rope access technicians.
This complex six month contract, went without any major problems much to the delight of the project manager.